The Spring, 2017 Synod Assembly met on May 6 at New Presbyterian Church, Los Angeles. Meeting documents are still available:
A new Synod document, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR THE SYNOD OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND HAWAII FOR THE PERSONAL SAFETY AND PROTECTION OF ALL , is part of the Synod Assembly documentsis, and is available for separate download HERE.
It is permanently posted in Synod Documents.
Part-time; position description is linked below. This position’s duties are, but are not limited to, designing and keep current the presbytery’s website, social media sites and preparing the presbytery’s weekly newsletter. If interested, please send resume HERE.
Guided by the Spirit: Fixing Our Eyes on Jesus
July 7 - 9, 2017
Chapman University, Orange CA
Speakers include Melissa Bane Sevier, Carol Winkler, and Rev. Eugenia Gamble
Each year the Synod, through the Racial Ethnic Pastoral Leadership Program, offers scholarship money to racial ethnic seminarians. More information: REPL LINK
You may scroll through this report or a full-page version is HERE, where you will also find links to download the report in either in MS Word as a PDF document.
The Synod Assembly met on Saturday, May 6, 2017 at New Presbyterian Church (Los Angeles) in the Presbytery of the Pacific. Special thanks to the church’s pastor TE David Won and to the church members for their warm hospitality. This congregation was one of the first in the former Hanmi Presbytery to transfer to a geographic presbytery.
Actions taken by the Assembly include the following.
1. During the opening worship service TE Mark Hong was installed as the Synod Executive/Stated Clerk by the Moderator, RE Janice Takeda of San Gabriel Presbytery.
2. As recommended by the Commission of Assembly, the Assembly voted to reallocate the $450,000 that was reserved for Hanmi Presbytery to use for funding new church development or revitalization projects in the following manner:
a. The Synod would retain $240,000 to be used for ethnic Korean ministry development under the jurisdiction of the presbyteries of the Synod. Matching $1 to $1 grants (same as current Synod policy) would be provided based upon presbytery commitments.
b. The remaining $210,000 would be evenly divided among the remaining seven presbyteries toward their existing balances for church development or revitalization projects.
3. As recommended by the Synod Finance Committee, the Assembly voted that the net proceeds of $363,856.68 from the sale of the property of the Casa Blanca Home of Neighborly Services shall be placed in a restricted fund that will be disbursed to the Presbytery of Riverside exclusively for the benefit of community ministry within the City of Riverside or alternatively a community based ministry in neighboring communities within the bounds of the Presbytery of Riverside.
4. RE Pat Niles of Los Ranchos Presbytery was elected to fill a vacancy in the Class of 2019 on the Synod Permanent Judicial Commission.
Other highlights of the Assembly included:
1. Heard and/or received reports from the Racial Ethnic Pastoral Leadership Program (REPL); Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation Work Group (JPIC), Presbyterian Women, Presbyterian Camp and Conference Centers, Inc., Zephyr Point Presbyterian Conference Center and the Commission of Assembly.
2. Heard a report from TE Elizabeth Gibbs-Zehnder about her work as the Presbyterian chaplain at LA County + USC Medical Center. Her position is funded by the Synod and the Presbyteries of the Pacific, San Gabriel, San Fernando and Los Ranchos.
3. Heard reports from the Presbytery of the Pacific, Santa Barbara Presbytery, San Fernando Presbytery, San Gabriel Presbytery, Los Ranchos Presbytery and San Diego Presbytery.
4. Heard a report from the Finance Committee on the performance of the Synod’s investment accounts with the New Covenant Trust Company, New Covenant Funds and the Presbyterian Foundation Endowment Fund.
Please download the Partnership Grants Protocol bulletin, linked below, to learn how the synod, in partnership with PC (U.S.A.) may be able to assist your congregation.
PDA assistance was available during the 2016 wildfire emergencies within the Southern California area, for example
Every World Communion Sunday (the first Sunday in October) is an opportunity for taking the Peacemaking Offering, a quarter of which goes to the Synod committee responsible for peacemaking awareness and events, a quarter to the local presbytery (if still organized for such gospel-based witness), and a half of the offering to G.A. In its 34th year the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program is surely among the finest ventures of Christian discipleship our church has been involved with.
The Synod has allocated $240,000 for Korean ministries within its bounds. Application is made through the church's presbytery which must match the Synod's contribution. Please see the letter (linked below in Korean and English) for details and instructions.
The Presbyterian Mission website has a new look, and many new features. You'll find it HERE.
The school is located in Pasadena. Course information and other news is available on the website HERE.
The University of Dubuque Theological Seminary regularly updates its online course offerings on its website.
Application and course information for our CLP/CRE program can be found at HERE , and then click on “CLP/CRE Info” in the “Welcome” box under the news feed. The current tuition rate is $390.00 per course.
As always, current students can register by going online at HERE or by contacting Carla Gibbons, Distance Education Coordinator (CGibbons@dbq.edu or call 563-589-3630 / 1-888-207-8218), to pay by credit card or check.
In addition, please check the school's continuing education website.
The Synod's Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation Committee (JPIC), recently offered a seminar where issues regarding incarceration, nutrition and water, and physical/mental health in regards to . Palestinian families were explored. For updates and general information about the work of the committee, please contact The Rev. Sunny Kang.
Synod Executive & Stated Clerk
MARK HONG ext. 109
FRIED WILSON ext. 110
Full Charge Bookkeeper
BARRY PETERS ext. 107
( Email )
NARCISSIS TUCKER BISHOP
( Email )
Moderator—RE Janice Takeda
Stated Clerk: TE Mark Hong
Vice-Mod.— RE Susan Skoglund
Treas.—RE Bill Hughes
CoA Moderator— RE Maurice Caskey
Our Synod gives scholarship money to racial ethnic seminarians. The window for Spring, 2017 closed on April 30, but forms are still available below for those who have made other arrangements.
The application is customarily submitted electronically via e-mail (in MS Word); if you need another format please use the contact the Coordinator at Rev. Narcissis Tucker Bishop via e-mail: email@example.com.
All applicants will need the Application Form and the Applications Instructions, linked above under "Download:"
Part IV of the application will require a signature from your CPM/COM/Session OR a typed signature on the Word version, e-mailed to REPL from an e-mail account under the same name. Part IV is included inthe MS Word electronic-fill-in application so the applicant can forward the completed form to the CPM/COM/Session to complete and e-mail to REPL. If you prefer, you may supply a PDF version of Part IV to your CPM/COM/Session instead, using the Part IV Application PDF, below. That page can be returned by mail, FAX, or (if scanned after signing) by e-mail, where the committee will match it up with Parts I - III that the applicant submitted electronically.
PLEASE NOTE THE DEADLINE WAS
APRIL 30, 2017. There will be another application season this year, in the Fall.
For additional information or technical assistance please contact:
Rev. Narcissis Tucker Bishop
• Synod Commission of Assembly (CoA)
• Synod Permanent Judicial Commission (PJC) • Committee on Representation and Nominations (CR&N);
• Racial Ethnic Pastoral Leadership Committee (REPL);
• Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation Committee (JPIC)
• Polity & Records
• Monte Vista Grove Homes, Inc.
( Presbyterian Camp and Conference)
• Zephyr Point Presbyterian Conference Commission, Inc.
• Presbyterian Men
• Presbyterian Women
• Related Mission Partners
Part-time; position description is linked below. This position’s duties are, but are not limited to, designing and keep current the presbytery’s website, social media sites and preparing the presbytery’s weekly newsletter. If interested, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
SYNOD OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND HAWAII
14225 Roscoe Boulevard, Panorama City CA 91402
Phone: 213.483-3840 • FAX: 818-891-0212
©2014 - 2017 by the Synod of Southern California and Hawaii. All rights reserved.